Question: My ex wants to move away with my children. Can I stop her? Does it matter if we have never had a custody order?

Answer: Pennsylvania Law requires a party who plans to relocate a child to notify all persons with custodial rights of the proposed address and the names of all adults and other children in the home. Moving within the state and the same county also require notice.

If you do not have a court-ordered custody arrangement, you can request an order preventing the relocation. This can be done by filing a complaint for custody (does not have to be for primary custody) along with a statement objecting to the relocation, and a request for a hearing.  The procedures may be expedited in relocation cases.

If you have more questions about filing a notice for proposed relocation or preventing the relocation of your children, please call 215-301-9783 for a consultation.